This report provides the results for the Fragrances market in the US from Canadean’s unique, highly detailed and proprietary survey of consumers’ Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) consumption habits, and forms part of an overall series covering all CPG product markets.Its coverage includes, but is not limited to, consumption behaviors, the extent to which consumer trends influence their consumption and the value of the market these trends influence, brand and private label choices as well as retailer choices. Much of this information can also be analyzed by specific consumer group, providing hard and fast data on consumers and markets at the product category level.
Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Fragrances market in the US face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the keys to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends.This report solves these problems by providing integrated survey-based data on consumer trends, consumer groups and market data which show exactly the size of consumer groups, how much of the Fragrances market they account for and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008–2009 the retail market has been characterized by an increased amount of discount and own-brand products. Fragrances are not considered essential items and therefore consumption patterns have been comparatively affected. As economic and market recovery continues over 2012, consumption patterns will record a positive trend in both the Medium and Heavy frequency bands and the amount of Non-users should decrease.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers’ uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets – making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial.The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of sales across 26 consumer groups – providing through the data a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The survey based data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
Consumer survey data for the following specific categories:Female Fragrances, Male Fragrances and Unisex Fragrances.
Detailed consumer segmentation based on survey data covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends and consumption frequency for each product category.
Volume shares in 2011 for brands and private label sales tracked by the survey.
Unique retailer choice and switching data as tracked by the survey are provided at the product category level for 2011
Reasons To Buy
Unique proprietary data that sizes and segments consumers, tracks their behavior and shows the impact of this on their markets
Results also cover over 20 consumer trends, showing exactly to what extent these trends have a direct influence on a market. As this impact assessment is based not only on how many consumers act on these trends, but also how often they act on this it provides unique insight into the “size of the prize” when targeting these consumer trends in each category covered.
Comparing the value shares of Male and Female users (44:56) with their population shares for this survey (49:51) there is a large differential, showing that Females spend far more on their Fragrance use than Males.
While private label penetration is low across the Fragrances market in the US, it is far higher in Female Fragrances than in Male or Unisex Fragrances. This suggests that women are more open to trying private label health and beauty products than men.
According to analysis of data Urban dwellers contribute 73% share, by value, to the Unisex Fragrances market, while Rural dwellers have the remaining 27% share. In this survey 66% of respondents were Urban dwellers. This indicates that Urban Dwellers are more likely to consume a Unisex Fragrance whereas Rural Dwellers tend to remain more gender aware in their Fragrance choices.